Saturday, April 4, 2020

The Current Situation

A couple of months ago, I noticed how clear the air was. It was unusual. I mentioned this observation to people, I believe I wrote about it in my journal, I know I included some words about it in my mood tracker.

I think I realized what it was today. China had shut down and the lack of emissions from there had had an effect all the way here.

Now we're shut down, too. Tomorrow is the inflection point, I think. Seventeen days after shutdown. The skies have been remarkably clear almost every day.

For the past few weeks I've been thinking it would be Wrong, somehow, to let this situation pass without making some sort of Post in this Blog about it. It's Historic; there should be a Record.

Anyway, this is that post. Perhaps there'll be more but there probably won't.

I'll leave this one untagged also, future Shaun is welcome to come through and add tags whenever he's got the free time and energy for it. But dude, go change all the "jealous"es to "envy"ies first. It's still bothering me.

Anyway to conclude, here's a poem that I didn't write:

The Second Coming
BY WILLIAM BUTLER YEATS

Turning and turning in the widening gyre 
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere 
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst 
Are full of passionate intensity.

Surely some revelation is at hand;
Surely the Second Coming is at hand. 
The Second Coming! Hardly are those words out 
When a vast image out of Spiritus Mundi
Troubles my sight: somewhere in sands of the desert 
A shape with lion body and the head of a man, 
A gaze blank and pitiless as the sun, 
Is moving its slow thighs, while all about it 
Reel shadows of the indignant desert birds. 
The darkness drops again; but now I know 
That twenty centuries of stony sleep
Were vexed to nightmare by a rocking cradle, 
And what rough beast, its hour come round at last, 
Slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?

No comments:

Post a Comment