Thursday, July 29, 2010

Inception for the Fifth Time and Saving Ten Cents

My sleep kept getting interrupted by Faith. He wanted me to wake up and give him some attention so he was pawing at me and scratching and biting and basically making himself a nuisance. I covered my whole body in my blanket and after walking around my perimeter failing to find exposed flesh, he gave up and went to sleep.

At around twelve o'clock Jared came over so Ian and he could go to Mid Valley to watch Inception and Salt. Their commotion woke Faith up, and he started trying to wake me again. Luckily, Ian removed him from my bed so I could get another hour or so of sleep before waking.

When I did wake up, my Bible reading for the day was the beatitudes. There were eight of them. I wonder if Carmeni thinks they're in the same order as I do. After that Hannah asked where Ian and Jared were and I told her they had left already. She was upset because she thought she was going with them. She was busy at Susanna's birthday party and so she wasn't around when they left. I told Hannah that I could take her to see Inception.

Jan woke up when I was getting ready for the day. I had just finished brushing my teeth and putting in my contacts, so I went to go get a towel and some clothes. Jan took that as an opportunity to enter the bathroom, lock the door, and take a shower before me. Sneaky bugger.

Jan was taking a while, so I contemplated skipping a shower altogether, but I had already been taking two showers a day for the past week and I didn't want to break the streak. I think it's become a habit. Now I'll be losing a little more of my day each day for the rest of my life. I blame Elo and Carmeni for this. Oh well, at least I'll be cleaner.

Anyway, Jan eventually finished doing whatever he was doing, so it was my turn. The water was a lot less cold than it was the past few days. Either I'm getting used to it, or it's just warmer in the afternoon. I hope it's the latter.

After I was nice and fresh I started downloading Let the Right One In on Ian's computer, since I read that Chloe Grace-Moretz was going to be starring in an American adaptation and I wanted to watch the original Swedish version, since apparently it's one of the best vampire movies out there. Also I loaded The Money Song on YouTube so I could hear that since it was stuck in my head.

But yeah, after I had done all that we were ready to leave. Unfortunately there were no cars available, so we decided to walk. We made it to the end of our building's compound before realizing we could just have Aunty Rosie drop us off. We called her, but she told us traffic was too heavy on the way back, so we'd have to take a taxi if we didn't want to hoof it. Right after the call ended a taxi came by, so I hailed it down and we got in.

We decided to split the fare three-ways, and it was decided that if the amount wasn't divisible by three, I'd pay the difference. It was RM5.60, and since I was at the front I paid first. I was going to claim back the money from Hannah and Jan, but I forgot.

Our first stop was an ATM. I withdrew my last fifty of the month. I had hit my float, and with so few days left in the month I was determined not to let it drop any lower.

Jan didn't feel like watching Inception again, because he is a fool. I told him that if he watched Inception and Sorcerer's Apprentice with me, I'd pay for his dinner. Hannah wanted to know what she would do if she didn't want to watch Sorcerer's Apprentice. I told her I didn't know, so she might as well join us.

Since I paid for the fare and the other two didn't want to pay me back, they decided they were going to be nice and stand in line for the tickets while I had lunch at McDonald's. I got a call from Hannah saying that she was going to get the tickets soon because they had just joined a new line exclusively for people who wanted to buy tickets for The Sorcerer's Apprentice and Inception, but a little later I heard an announcement that said the line they had joined was exclusively for people who wanted to buy tickets for any movie EXCEPT The Sorcerer's Apprentice and Inception. I called Hannah to tell her this, but she told me she had just heard and was going to join the proper line.

Anyway, my lunch was pretty delicious (especially by McDonald's standards) and I ended up finishing it pretty quickly. While I was eating I was thinking about how much money I had left and I decided I couldn't afford to watch any movies, so when I was finished I went downstairs to tell Jan not to buy any tickets for me. When I got downstairs I saw that I was too late. He already had three tickets to Inception because he cut in front of the line. Fortunately, he had forgotten about The Sorcerer's Apprentice, so through that loophole I avoided having to pay for Jan's dinner.

After Jan and Hannah finished their lunch, we went to watch Inception. It was Jan's second time, Hannah's third time, and my fifth time. Jan and I managed to pee before the movie, but Hannah thought she could survive without emptying her bladder beforehand. Surprisingly, she was right. Anyway, the movie was still awesome. I was reciting the lines throughout the movie, which annoyed Jan, but fortunately there was nobody to my right so I could ignore him and keep doing it anyway. I did get a little quieter, though, since a group of people came in around fifteen minutes late to occupy the row directly in front of us. Hannah spent most of the movie texting, stopping every once in a while to blush and grin every time Joseph Gordon-Levitt showed up on screen. Jan kept looking around the cinema to see other people's reactions to the movie, so there were still a lot of things he didn't understand one it was over. At the end of the movie Jan and Hannah tried to instigate an applause, but it didn't spread. Instead we sat around until the end of the credits, listening to the score and looking for names that stood out. At the end they played Edith Piaf's "Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien", which slowed down and morphed into a different part of the soundtrack before ending. It was pretty awesome.

Jan and Hannah were mad at me for getting them to stay until the credits were over, but I thought it was worth it. We went to get a cab, but right when Jan was asking the driver if he could take us to Bangsar, I remembered about Amanda's birthday present, so we went back in the mall. Jan and Hannah didn't want to accompany me to MPH. Jan was mad that I chided him for not understanding the movie, and Hannah was just too lazy to walk. I told her that I'd tell her more about Joseph Gordon-Levitt's character, and she relented. Jan came along, too, because he is a little baby and he's too scared to be alone.

While I was looking for Murphy's Law, I told Hannah how Arthur's real romantic interest in that movie wasn't Ariadne, but Eames. I'm not sure if she believed me or not, but I managed to find the book. I took two copies to the middle of the store; one to read and another to buy. Hannah and Jan got bored of waiting for me to finish the book, so they went home without me.

When I was done reading the book I realized that maybe it might not be Amanda's thing, so I called her to ask if she had any books she particularly wanted to read. She told me about this Louise Rennison book that she wanted to read. She said she had Confessions of Georgia Nicholson series except for books 5 and 7, so I told her I'd try and find the fifth one. I went to the information desk to try and find it, but they were sold out all over the country. I called Amanda to give her the bad news, but I told her that they did have 14 copies of another Louise Rennison book in stock called "Withering Tights" and I asked her if she wanted to get that. Amanda misheard and thought I said "Wuthering Heights", which was a book she wanted to read. I told her that it was a different book, but I'd get Wuthering Heights for her if there was nothing else she wanted. She told me to see if they had a book called "Icarus".

They did not have any copies of Icarus in stock, so I sent Amanda a text. It read: "Icarus is sold out, too. So: Wuthering Heights (classic book; referenced in Twilight) or Murphy's Law (awesome book; cops, thugs, and diamonds)?" I was hoping Amanda would ask for Wuthering Heights, because apparently there was a version that was only RM9.90, whereas Murphy's Law was RM45.90. Amanda replied with "Hahaha... Okie", so I sent back "Wait, aren't you going to choose? Or should I toss a coin?", so she said "Withering heights", so I went to get a copy of Wuthering Heights while I typed out a reply.

There first copy of Wuthering Heights that I found helped me establish the author's name, but it was twenty-something ringgit, so I brought it to the information counter and asked what the difference was between that and the RM9.90 one. The lady behind the counter brought back the RM9.90 version and apparently it came with bonus features, which meant the cheaper one had more content, so that was nice. After paying for the book, I sent Amanda a reply that read "Haha, it's Wuthering Heights. Withering is the one with the Tights. =P".

As I was leaving MPH, Amanda texted me saying "Hahaha... Actually.. Get me tht one la. It sounds so funny...", so I turned around, went back in, and asked the lady to help me find a copy of Withering Tights, too. The moment I read the synopsis I knew I had done the right thing by not buying Murphy's Law. Withering Tights sounded like exactly the kind of thing people like Hannah and Amanda (girls, basically) would want to read. Anyway, Withering Tights was RM35.90, so my total came up to RM45.80, which meant I had spent 10 cents less than I would've if I would have bought Murphy's Law, so that was nice, too.

I called my mum to pick me up so I wouldn't have to pay for a cab fare. As I was nearing the exit of the mall, I was approached by a perfume salesperson. Since I had time to kill, I agreed to try on some cologne. The lady sprayed my arm with one bottle, then told me to hang on a moment while she got another bottle for comparison. She then sprayed that on the exact same place. When I pointed it out to her, she apologized and tried again on my other arm. This time I could smell them. One was citrus-y and nice, and the other was kinda generic. She then told me that the first bottle was something like RM160, and the second one was RM250. I told her that she was maybe marketing to the wrong guy, since I was just a student and I don't even had a job, but I told her I'd tell my dad since I didn't want her to feel like I'd wasted her time.

When she was out of earshot, I mumbled "Two hundred and fifty dollars for a scent..." to myself, and then after a few moments I laughed out loud at the involuntary pun. Everyone looked at me strange, and I was suddenly very glad that I was near the exit.

My mum arrived, we went home, I blogged about the day. I'll wake up early and study for my quiz tomorrow. I'm not sure when I'll ever get to write that other blog post about all the things I'd forgotten to mention. I guess forgetting to write a post about stuff I had forgotten about would be pretty appropriate, or ironic, or whatever.

No comments:

Post a Comment