Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Greetings, and also Wednesday is Satay Day

So I'm dateless for the ball. It's unsurprising, but it still kinda bites. Ah well, until the ball I'll tell myself that I'm gonna hit on one of the single chicks there. Of course, when the actual day arrives I won't, but I'll then I'll tell myself that I totally would've if it hadn't been for one little thing I couldn't've anticipated.

Anyway, today. Today there was a quiz for Moral. I didn't understand most of what was being asked. It wasn't really because I didn't know the material; it's that I literally did not understand what the quiz wanted from me. I hope I score more than half marks on it, though.

Today I also ate satay. The satay dude comes to Pusat Bandar Damansara every Wednesday and he makes the best beef satay I've ever tasted. I had eight sticks today. As anticipated, they were delicious. I really missed them when he wasn't around for the fasting month and the next few weeks after that. Six weeks without Wednesday satay, that is a hell I would not wish on my worst enemy. Mostly because I don't have one, but also because that satay is so delicious that deprivation of them could very well be considered inhumane.

Also today I saw this dude run a red light. I was on my motorcycle facing his lane and waiting for the light to turn to green so that I could turn. When it turned, I began to turn in, but then I saw that he ran the red and tried to make the turn, too. As I swerved to avoid him I was all "Dude [you're] breaking the law" but he did not hear me because I did not say it loudly and he was in a car. I really wanted to flip him off, but I decided to restrain myself when I realized that would require taking at least one hand off the handlebars, which would make the motorcycle quite a bit harder to control. When I overtook him I found that "he" was actually an old Indian lady, but I'll allow you to make of that what you will.

Anyway, I got to thinking about greeting people today. Usually when I see someone that I recognize in college I'll greet them in some way. With friends I'll raise my hand or nod or say "Hey man" or "Hi dude". I do this because I usually cannot remember people's names, which I feel sorta guilty about because everyone remembers mine, even people I do not know. With lecturers I'll say "Morning/afternoon/evening sir/miss", because you gotta be formal with the lecturers. I'll only greet lecturers who teach or have taught me, and those lecturers that greet me first. If I'm really familiar with them I'll just say "Hi sir/miss", but I am rarely really familiar with them. If I'm suddenly greeted by someone who I do not recall meeting, I will just say "Yeah, hi" or "Hey" or something similarly noncommittal. I really need to figure out who those people are someday. They always catch me by surprise. Also, there's this lady that I met in the Mist Club during that fashion show thing a few months ago. I don't see her often, but whenever I do she always asks if I remember her and I say yeah and then we wait for a few moments while I try to remember where she's from and then right when I start saying "Mist Club" she says "Mist Club" and it seems like I have forgotten which is not true and makes me sad. She's nice, though. Also also, whenever I see people who I have not talked to in a long while because I've been avoiding them because I did something stupid that I have (weakly) apologized for with an apology they did not accept or maybe did accept but didn't tell me about, I'll panic a little as I watch them approach and wonder whether to say hi or not before deciding not to and looking elsewhere as they get closer and sidestepping when they get real close so they know that I'm trying to stay out of their way and also because they tend to sidestep, too. It's an effective system for avoiding both conflict and closure.

I like followers. I've only got two, but I'm pretty sure they don't read my blog. I know Hannah and Ebony do, though, but they aren't followers. If you've read this far, I'm not asking you to follow me, but, y'know, it would be nice.

I had Engineering Mathematics Applications homework to do. It's due in 10 hours. I didn't do any of it. I don't have a good excuse, I just prioritized less important things and now I'm too tired for it. I hope I know enough about vectors, because that was the homework and that's what's coming out for the quiz this Friday, which is also the day of the ball and also the day I have to study and get my uniform ready for the Advanced Drill Badge test on Saturday, so yeah, Friday's gonna be a long day with a long night. Yay, I guess.

On a perhaps unrelated note, I could do with a hug right now. Preferably from someone attractive, female, and unrelated to me. I will, however, settle for an adorable picture of a puppy, perhaps with a funny caption. I think Google can help me with the latter.

No comments:

Post a Comment